On Saturday, 21st of November at 08:30 UTC+02 – 21:00 UTC+02 at Kai Art Center
Are you passionate about reducing your CO2 footprint? When you go shopping, do you bring your own reusable bag? Do you prefer public transportation and walking over using a car? Are you conscious about the food you consume? If the answer is yes, then here is your chance to take a stand and work towards building a healthier and more sustainable future for all of us and for future generations. Please join us for the Empowering Youth: Green Together! offline and online ideation day on the 21st of November.
Did you know that:
- According to the UN, by 2050 68% of the world population will live in urban areas. Cities have a crucial role to play on our path to sustainability. Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vancouver, and Singapore give us good examples of how to develop urban transportation solutions that are less carbon-intensive.
- We produce 300 million tons of plastic each year worldwide, half of which is for single-use items.
- Solar power is the most abundant energy source on Earth and solar power plants can last 40 years or more. The cost of producing panels and storage solutions has been decreasing steadily for the past years.
- Circular economy concepts are becoming more mainstream and go beyond just recycling. An estimated 80% of a product’s environmental impact is determined already at the design stage, giving us plenty of opportunities to reduce the product’s carbon footprint already in the making phase
These are just some of the facts that we can explore when we talk about changing our planet for the better.
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for sparkly-eyed humans, young people, who want to make a tremendous difference, and who have a strong will to change and save the fate of our beloved planet. Environmental action is not just for a specific kind of person, and you don't have to fit into any stereotype to be an environmentalist. This event is your chance to work with a group of hardworking, willing, and determined people.
Join us and grab your friends and classmates with you. Sign up as an individual or as a team, with or without an idea: https://garage48.typeform.com/to/kf68aqcn
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for your disruptive, future-shaping ideas on the following categories:
- circular economy: reducing waste and sharing economy;
- sustainable cities and smart mobility;
- sustainable food systems;
- reducing consumption;
- alternative energy, and storing energy;
- raising environmental awareness.
We’re also welcoming your ideas that don’t fit exactly with the topics provided in this list but have creativity, and resourcefulness that is needed to make the world a better place.
Sign up as an individual or as a team, with or without an idea. We’re welcoming everyone to register for the event until the 13th of November: https://garage48.typeform.com/to/kf68aqcn
- Team formation
Team formation around ideas is happening on the 16th of November. You will receive an invitation to the matchmaking event after registering for the event. Invitations will be sent out at the latest on the 14th of November. In the matchmaking event, individuals with an idea can find team members and teams can find additional team members. The matchmaking event will be held online as a super-fun speed-dating event, and don’t worry, we’ll guide you through all of it.
- What’s happening on the 21st of November?
The event will happen on the 21st of November online and offline. The offline and physical event will be held in the Kai Art Center - the cultural heart of the seaside Noblessner harbor complex in Tallinn, Estonia. Like with every Garage48 event, we’ll take good care of you - warm meals, snacks, drinks, and fun time are guaranteed. Participants joining us from other countries and online will be joining us through Zoom Breakout rooms, but that doesn’t mean any less fun!
The whole program will be held in English and you will be supported by local and international mentors and experts. Best teams will receive monetary prizes to go forward with their idea. All the participants will receive cool, sustainably produced swag to show off their initiative to save the planet and environment.
Climate change, renewable energy sources, and reducing the consumption of single-use plastic, and other big picture issues that our planet is facing may seem daunting, but if we approach them now, we might have a chance of making it right.
This event is organized together with the Ministry of the Environment, Cleantech ForEst, and with the support of NB8, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government Office of Estonia, the Ministry of Education and Research, The Education and Youth Authority, and Center for Environmental Investments.